Yogurt is one ingredient that never disappoints anyone, you can experiment with it or use it in various dishes. It holds the power to revamp any dish, be it a salad, gravy or a new recipe. It is a savior when nothing comes to rescue.
Yogurt is considered to be one of the best dairy products with good nutritional level. 100 grams of yogurt contains 59 calories. Freshly prepared yogurt at home is rich in taste and nutrients but in today’s busy life, people are dependent on readymade yogurt that is available in the market. Homemade yogurt is the healthiest form of dairy product.
There is no denying that people don’t have time to prepare it themselves but with the introduction of Instant Pot pressure cooker, it has become a cakewalk. Instant pots come with built-in yogurt system that works with a single push of a button. This feature helps in heating the milk and maintaining the temperature and saves a lot of time and effort.
So if you have always been trapped by the question of making yogurt all by yourself then here’s the solution. Follow the steps below to prepare yogurt using instant pot:
- ½ gallon milk (preferably organic milk)
- Jars (to fit inside the instant pot)
STEP 1 – Heating
- To make yogurts, use jars inside the pot to save yourself from the trouble of transferring the yogurt. This process is generally preferred over using whole inside of the pot as yogurt is directly made inside these jars.
- Adjust the steamer rack and turn on the steaming function of the instant pot and pour a glass of water.
- Place heat-resistant jars inside the pot and fill them up to 90% of their capacity. Then close the lid.
- Adjust the steam handle to “steaming” and press the steam button in the pot to set the timer for 1 minute.
- The jars and the milk will be steamed together.
STEP 2 – Cooling
- Next important step is cooling the jars and milk in the pot after the steam.
- It would take about an hour to cool down the jars and the temperature has to be 150 degrees Fahrenheit. In case you don’t have the thermometer, then leave the jars for an hour till you can handle them directly.
STEP 3 – Adding yogurt
- It’s now time to add 1 teaspoon of active yogurts in each of the jars and mix them well.
- All you have to do is place each of the jars inside the pot and the built-in yogurt function will do the needful.
- The instant pot will take about 8 hours to prepare the yogurt or more if you want a thicker one. Lastly, take the jars out and refrigerate for some time.
Following the above steps will fetch you your homemade yogurt, which you always thought to be a time-consuming task. It’s only a matter of 9-10 hours with your instant pot. Now does anyone need a reason to have an instant pot? Grab yours soon.